Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Atheism Vs Agnosticm, A Common Misconception.

I have come to know and realise that people often relate Atheism to Agnosticism. While the both begin with the connotation 'A', the principles are very much different. As different as comparing an apple to an orange; while the both are fruit they clearly are different. My purpose of stating this is because people often know what they want to know, it is a fact, some people are incapable of dealing with reasons unbeknown to them without knowing why.


Whenever you hear the following words in sentences, "don't believe....god", one is often associated with atheism. It's a common thing in society, having knowing someone who doesn't believe in God makes him a person damned for life. For some people, there are 'but', but like I said people don't want to listen to something they already know. That is why sometimes it pains me when someone comes and tell me "Oh you're an atheist right?" whenever I tell them I don't believe in God or when I say i don't practice what I was supposed to. The human mind, can sometimes be biased and fail to look and comprehend views that is deem conflicting towards their own. Also, I would like to assume that not many people know what agnosticism is, and while I do not condemn people who believes in religion, I would appreciate that people think the same about me. Who are we to judge right?

The best way to understand an issue is by means of 'short and simple', hence I would do so. There are 3 different terms used in reference to belief in the existence God:

  • Theism is the belief in God.
  • Atheism is the disbelief in God.
  • Agnostic is not knowing that God exists.
  • Gnosticism is knowing that God exists.


So in short, Theism/Atheism has to do with belief/lack of belief. Gnosticism/Agnosticism has to do with knowledge/lack of knowledge. There are also combination of the first 2 and the last 2 but that's something we can avoid because it means nothing to me.

Frankly speaking, I'm the sort of person that if I can't see anything physical, I won't believe it. Words mean nothing to me if it can't be backed by physical evidence. As much as I would like to believe in God, my logic tells me I can't because it doesn't add up. I have no knowledge in the existence of God, with that being said I won't go around saying that I believe in religion and/or God. I don't want to hide something I'm not sure off, I dislike going around saying "Yeah, God is great" but in truth I don't believe it, having to lie on such a thing is such a shame. In short, I don't see the point of it if you don't practice what you preach. I have a hate-spot for hypocrites who make it obvious.

Most people are scared to say openly that they don't believe in God, afraid that they would be alienated for not believing something like that, an unspoken rule of sorts. But why should they? Is there such thing as "I have more knowledge and belief in God, therefore I am a better theist than you?". What kind of remark is that? Is like for example, 2 people with the same religion, Muslims for example. One prays 5 times a day, but does sins on a daily basis whereas compared to another guy who doesn't pray 5 times a day but do less sins, so is the first guy a better Muslim than the second guy just cause he prays 5 times a day? A purely hypothetical question, but in the end of the day are we to say that the first guy is a better Muslim cause Islam dictates that an individual MUST pray 5 times a day? You decide.

My post today is by no means of trying to insult/harm other peoples belief in God/religion. I do really mean it, i hope it doesn't make you mad or insulted because this is purely my views and hope that people will be more objective when faced with delicate issues such as today's post. Also I am trying to put forward the fact that although one doesn't believe in God, it doesn't make him a person who is condemned in life and death. And if you do feel insulted/angry, I really do apologise from the bottom of my heart, it was not my intention but it is not my fault that you fail to be objective.

Other than that, I'm fortunate to have you reading this, thank you. And no, I'm not preaching anything here, this post is purely educational.

No comments: