Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Minute (Or More) In My Shoes.

Well, Manchester United successfully drop 2 points after letting in 2 goals in 2 minutes. I usually use Man Utd success as a benchmark for a good week, needless to say my week is going to suck. Since I have no moof after the draw and my insomnia lowering my threshold for tolerance and patience, I think bitching here would make me feel better. Now, im not sure if this is insomnia, though I had it before in my college days, but I've been through 20 hours of no sleep, and just short naps in between. I am easily agitated so I hope everyone stays away from me for now.

I have stated quite a few times before about what Im doing here. Generally, as Earth Science is too general, I would usually break it down into two particular subclass which I am taking; Geoscience and Atmospheric Science. Over the next few post, I would share with you what I've learnt about pertaining Earth, and to put the matter of global warming to rest. So, I will start out with Geoscience.

Let's go back in time, millions of year back into the Post-Tertiary and Pre-Quatanary era. In the end of the Tertiary era, Pangea was to break and the continents will move into it's current position today. Pangea is one of the many 'supercontinent' a term whereby all the continents on Earth converge together into one giant piece of continent, hence the term supercontinent. At this point of time, volcanic activity was very high, due to continental rifting (continents breaking apart) and sea-floor spreading at mid-oceanic ridges(sea floor spreading, what else is there to it). With volcanic activity, tiny particles (aerosols) such as dust and magma rock are released into the atmosphere (mainly the troposphere). As a result, we expect to see a significant rise in global temperature.

Now let's move into the Quatenary era (in which we are currently in). In the Quatanery era, global climate was and still is eratic. Over a course of 8-10 million years, there will be a period of glaciation and cool climate, and later on period of warmth (which we have yet to know why). In the Quatenary era, we have what is know as icehouse and greenhouse period. The term speaks for itself, icehouse = cold global climate and greenhouse = warm global climate. If i recall, we are in the icehouse period (i forgot), and we are expected to enter a ice-age soon (as stated previously, global climate of Quaternary era is eratic).

Now in the Quaternary era, we begin with period of glaciation. At this point of time, the poles (north and south) is covered with vast amout of ice and snow. In terms of global climate, we have what is called a 'feedback mechanism', where a small change is amplified into a bigger more significant effect. Let's take glaciation for an example. Snow and ice have high albedo (ability to reflect sun/solar radiation). Hence, a large amout of solar radiation is reflected back to space, therefore making the global temperature decrease and thus promoting more buildup of snow. This is what we call as positive cooling feedback. The converse applies the same principle as well. However in terms of negative cooling feedback, let's say the Milankovitch mechanism (changes in earth's orbit, orientation and axis tilt) resulted in a small warming on Earth, ice sheets begin to melt, the albedo decreases and thus less solar radiation is reflected and so on.

Now, notice how I go through heaven and hell to explain this? I've done so that you have a little background knowledge. Now in terms of global warming, why is this important. There is one factor that we have not added into this whole situation. If you guessed it than good for you, if you haven't than this factor is the antrophogenic factor; human factor. Besides the antrophogenic factors, there are other factors that affects earth global climate. Let's start out with internal factor; as stated before we have volcanic activity, glaciation, tectonic plate processes, termohaline factor, oregony (mountain-building) in reference to glaciation and the likes. Whereas for external factor we have the Milankovitch factors and sun-spot activity as well.

Now let's proceed to global warming; myth or fact? At the end of this long post, I will leave it for you to decide. Antropogenic activity successfully introduced more carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is quite a major player in increasing earth temperature. Now carbon dioxide traps solar radiation thereby increasing global temperature. Now since global temperature increases, sea surface temperature is expected to rise as well. Warm sea temperature makes it harder for carbon dioxide to dissolve in the sea (sea is important in balancing atmospheric gases), therefore the albedo of ocean decreases subsequently. Again, the temperature increases as well. Now this affects the glaciers on both poles. Ice and snow at the poles melts, and again lowering the albedo. Once again the feedback mechanism is in effect, i leave it to you to figure what will happen. Now that the temperature is increasing steadily, ice caps will begin to break, and recently, an ice cap the size of Manhattan broke apart because the sea temperature is warm and in addition to strong wind caused the ice cap to pop.

With ice cap the size of New York, we expect the ice cap to melt into the ocean, and increasing the sea level. I won't even begin to explain this, go watch 2012 yay. I have yet to talk about isostasy and eustasy. So to those who is denial about global warming, I urge you to go read a book or just die.

So what do we expect to see in the future? The most obvious is increase in global temperature and sea temperature. With the increase of sea level temperature, we expect higher numbers of tropical storm, hurricane and typhoon (anything in that nature) since it is associated with warmer sea temperature. We also expect sea-level to rise, ice cap melting, extinction of glaciers and the likes. However don't worry, on the bright side we have still many more years till we feel something is not right. As for now, we can enjoy ourselves, though I can't comment on the future.

And this is why I am taking Earth Sciece. Forget the money, huge house and expensive cars. My pleasure comes from helping people and trying to predict what will happen in the future. Just like tropical storms, we know how it forms, we know when it's coming, but we can't stop it. All we can do is warn people, and prepare for the worst. And if by doing so allows me to save the lives of many, I am prepared to put my life on the line.

Cheers. TL:DR. I forgot to mention.

No comments: