Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Untitled

There are things about me a lot of people don't know, and this particular one that I am going to reveal, I have been keeping it in for 7 years already. In fact, nobody knows except only 1 important person in my life right now. Why? The reason is simple; I hold this belief that showing your feelings is a sign of weakness. Yes, I dislike showing my feelings, even more so when I can't connect with it at times. Though some things are better left unspoken, but I guess it's about time I reveal the soft hearted side of me. I do really hate it when my parents are right, especially about me.

I shunt digress. As I have mention briefly, that previously people have been asking me why I chose Earth Science course. Although right here in the land down under, the course is like any other courses, but for people back home, there’s isn’t such a thing or they have never heard about it before. Honestly speaking, I feel like it’s a huge diversion from the normal choice of education back home. It’s not that I am insulting people who take engineering, or business or whatnot, quite the opposite. Every time I have to answer the question it will be “I don’t know yet, when I do I will tell you”, which is in fact a blatant lie.

I knew all along why I wanted to do what I chose to do. The reason I don’t say it out loud because I do not want anyone to think that I am a soft-hearted person, I can be strict when the situation permits but other than that I have always been perceived as this hardy, solid person whose feelings are detached from him entirely. It all started way back in 2004, on the 26th of December to be more specific. I will always remember that date, till now. That was when the Indian Ocean tsunami happened. I was not directly affected by it, more like indirectly affected. Seeing such a terrible disaster on a global scale like that really took a toll on me, a part of me on that day decided that I wanted to do something to help people out, by trying to prevent it. It didn’t occur to me at that point of time, but I know that disasters like that cannot be stopped, but avoid. I often hear people say how terrible this particular disaster is, sometimes I tell that to myself too, but the fact that people talk but do not do anything to help out the situation irks me every time. I always feel helpless, I do want to help out, but I just didn’t know how too.

Hence, that is why I am doing what I do today. It’s through Earth Science that I finally have the clear picture that one day I might just help out avoid such high death toll. Recently, like last Friday, that memory of 2004 came back and haunted me again. Yeap, the Japanese tsunami, which was the first time I saw a raw video footage of a tsunami consuming an entire community. Once again, I was indirectly affected by what I saw. In one particular video, i saw scores of people dying from the tsunami wave. It was horrific, it was something I never want to see ever in my lifetime again. I don’t see how anyone can watch a video of people dying right in front of you and not feeling anything. I cannot describe what I felt, but it really did change me somehow or rather.

So there you go, the soft part of me. It’s not something that I proud of saying, but I don’t know, sometimes I get the feeling that people back home think I am nuts or something. Except for my uncle and my girlfriend of course, they really have high hopes for me. The last thing I would want to do is disappoint them. I am still not sure if my parents think I chose the right field of education, but somewhere down there I am sure they are proud of me none the less. The only thing I can do now is to prove that what I am doing will be worthwhile in the long run. I am in it to do something about it, rather than just saying how terrible it was. I am a firm believer of practicing what you preach. Talk is cheap, action speak louder than words....you know those idioms and all.

As I heard a meaningful line before "No Bounce, No Play".

That is all for me, I don't believe much or in fact I don't believe in prayers at all, but my heart is with the Japanese people. Although donating some money to them is not enough, but a little goes a long way.

No comments: