I had a deja'vu while thinking of a title for today. Somewhere in this mess of a blog lies a post titled If before, I had no idea what that was about. Well you can't quite find it right now because I had to delete my blog once out of a really retarded reason, but just in case you know as a safety precaution. Wouldn't want your parents reading your blog don't you. I prefer it that way, I like to rant.
Anyway let's proceed shall we?
My intention for today's post had something to do with trivial issues (Yes, i used issues and not matter to portray how important it was), but I didn't want to. I have no intentions about making this about me because hey, some might have enough of me already. Damn, where is the wink emote. But forget that, instead, I would like to rewind my 19 years and 7 months biological clock. Rewind it to about 18 years and 11 months. Back to where If began.
If is a powerful and meaningful word. I find that it can induce a sense of suspense and thrill. When put to practice appropriately, it can literally knock you of your chair or the bed where ever you are if you are reading the post. See if pops out. Let's truly begin. 18 years and 11 months, that was when i finished my SAM course. It was at that point of time knew I had to stop running. Choices was soon to catch up with me, and running away was no longer a viable option. I knew it was then that I had to choose a line of career that would beneficial.
At this point, some may say 'Oh it's just a career option, just shut up and choose'. To me, it was a big thing. It was the pinnacle of my life, because what if i chose to do this and later 25 years down the road, i'll be sitting alone on a bench somewhere thinking why the hell did I do this. Unlike some people, I don't have a general idea of what I like to do because I can do anything. The problem is if i liked it, if it's interesting, will it help society, can I change lives and jazz like that.
Someone once suggested to me, she said, "Hey, you like to write. You possessed the ability to write something interesting. Your blog proves it". I knew she was hinting that I should take up journalism. I mean yeah I like to write, but something people would actually read and could probably turn some heads and change lives. I imagine what I could do as a journalist.
I could enter war-torn country, write articles about the horror the society had to go through, what they had to do to survive. If you would look at the world media today, some issues are not getting the necessary attention that it deserves, instead we get news about Lindsay Lohan going to jail or some dude with a beard robbing another dude with a beard who turned out to be his brother. I mean come on, sometimes I don't understand how the people at the media agency choose which news should be aired and which shouldn't. I mean its rubbish, who wants to read about bearded brothers robbing one another?
I once did my ESL presentation on United Nations, specifically the UNHCR. During humanitarian efforts, for refugees in this case. The refugees weren't getting the attention that it should have. Because UNHCR help refugees around the world, plagued by war, famine and food shortage. They do require some financial aid as well, and before this issue attracted the attention of the media, food aid and such weren't arriving fast enough. As the domino affect would have it, many refugees were starting to die slowly due to sickness and hunger. Only after this problem was brought forth to various news agency, news were being broadcast, articles are being written, it was then help really arrived. The power of the media my friends.
That is the real power of what one can do as a journalist. Often I thing, how would it feel like being a journalist. Joining the high ranks of other honorary journalist and writing articles for The Times. But well after 6 months, I opted for something....humble. Honestly, if you would ask me now if I regretted not taking journalism, or if I regretted not listening to my father's advice and become a pilot. I would most definitely say no. For once, I actually know what I want to do and yes it makes me feel good. Forget the money, forget the fame, Im all for helping people around the globe. Yes journalism can cause awareness of the plight of many refugees and people in need out there, but hey, Im a rock and cloud guy. What about it? I'll leave my writtings in here instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment